Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Poochie, kyrix1st is right.

Of course it would make sense to have 'the pedal count' as criterion (2 = automatic | 3 = manual) or the type of gear shifting (digital/electronic = automatic | mechanical = manual) or, simply, the possibility of automatic shifting (present = automatic | absent = manual). But for BMW, the torque convertor is the criterion (present = automatic | absent = manual).

M-DCT (code 2MK/S2MK/S2MKA in VIN specs | "M twin-clutch transm. with Drivelogic" | "M Doppelkupplungsgetriebe mit Drivelogic")
= two pedals but no torque convertor = manual transmission in BMW's book.

Therefore, "MANUAL"/"HECK" (instead of "AUT") is indicated in VIN specs of any F87 M2. See for example here.
You're are a manual aficionado, so you know regardless of how they market it, a manual transmission with a clutch pedal is polar opposite to a DCT in operation.

I've been reading since 2006 when the SMG 2 was a big deal that it would "replace the manual within the next five years" because it was soooo good and comparable, yet that day never arrived because deep down, BMW knows there is simple no replacement for that clutch pedal. Driving both back to back, they're almost like two different vehicles and anyone who say otherwise is practicing self-deception.

I know this is a touchy subject and sparks a lot of debate when mention, so I try to be as delicate as possible but I'm sorry, I just can't accept a transmission being classified as a true manual, where the gear change is operated by paddles and you can't balance the motion of the vehicle and gear change with the clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0