03-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #345
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
I don't know the answer, I was just questioning the explanation that cost savings are the only reason for the hood line by naming all these other models which don't have one (why don't save money there as well, especially when the predecessor already had it anyway) and the fact that all SUVs from the X3 and above never had a hood line and still don't. I'm no expert, maybe you are and maybe you are right with your explanation. I just had a few concerns with it, that's all.
They are saving the money on those. SAV's have usually a lot of space and do not require a lot of work around.
Also, the new design it is specially made to make it fast and simpler. This is why now, the headlamps are between the hood/fenders and the bumper and no other element under the headlamp. The previous models were different.
Remember the First BMW X5 that had a lip under the headlamp? Those were hand installed.
Or the 2010 models that had a "in the middle of the fender" design? They were differently built as the headlamps were assembled as a whole with the front fender:

The smaller vehicles require a little bit more work and it can be done if they want to.
E46 was way more solid in terms of build. See minute 18 in the following video. The bumper required two people to work on it. Today's design requires a person only. Look at the metal structure that was used before.

BMW X2 manufacturing. Minute 22.50 you can see as well the whole assembly and rear bumper get ready as a package. They are not painted with the body.

There are variables in design as well that can provide different approaches.

The truth is they can do it but involves more labour and if the whole assembly can come done outside they will do it.
However, they do acknowledge the hood line design disaster, so the new 3 series gets a headlamp assembly as well so it can speed up the process. But, as mentioned before, this is done by hand not on the line but in a separate space.
See video bellow, minute 9:20 and you can see the G20 front headlamp/grill assembly getting manually assembled. That requires a special guy to do that only.

Design and engineering is one thing. Manufacturing logistics though, is a very important element that very few know about. Every component must be made to slide in and connect with other parts perfect but fast and without error. Between designers and engineers, there is a special team of CAD engineers that design the parts to accommodate both parties and make sure that they use minimum material but parts are technically sound and meet all technical requirements (for example enough ventilation).

At first, I thought that maybe the hood should not be longer than the internal structural elements that protect in a collision. Then, I realized that it is not the case as all bonnets are longer than those.
So the single explanation left is manufacturing.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-09-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 3
clee1982799.00
pyrat15194.50