01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #2053
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I don't understand the argument that we have to have huge grilles to fit the various cameras and sensors on the front.

My M4 has all of the sensors and cameras and the grille doesn't look like the giant gaping maw of a whale shark. Or huge pig nostrils, as others have said.

Somebody please enlighten me as to why the supposedly best and brightest German engineers can't find a way to put all the cameras and sensors that are needed without having to resort to a ginormous, grotesque, hideously large grille.
I don't think that the argument that a big grill needs to exist for the sensors is what others posting were referring to. I think they were saying they won't do big grills because of the sensors, but we all know BMW could easily move around the tech to work with the grills, likely in the form of an off center sensor/radar similar to the Giulia or Supra. They aren't making a big grill for sensors, but rather for their own design purposes.

I wish they would take Audi's approach of integrating the sensors into the fog light housing. I thought it was a smart way of keeping the grill area clean in design while still providing safety tech. This would especially benefit BMW since they don't have the advantage of using a badge on the face of the grill in which the sensor could be hidden in, similar to say a Mercedes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0