04-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
The M3 pure, which will be the only M3 available in stick, will have about 20 to 25 horsepower less than it's automatic counterpart. I would like to know what exactly is the limiting factor in manual transmissions that BMW believes they need to do this. I read somewhere that BMW thinks that above 450 hp, manual cars suffer from degraded "shift feel," and that although American manufacturers have manual transmissions that are outfitted in high hp cars, BMW feels these transmissions/gearboxs feel heavy and clunky.

I've never driven a 500+ hp stick car like a Viper to know what they're talking about. What exactly is their concern? More than a decade ago Porsche, another German manufacturer, had a 605 hp Carrera GT that was available only in stick. Was the "shift feel" there shit too? Hard to believe it was.
It's worth calling out that this isn't fact yet, it's mostly conjecture. Even our resident insider has said bmw is evaluating multiple combinations with manual including awd and have not fully finalized yet.

Although it makes some sense that the manual will be limited to only the purist version it's not confirmed to be the case yet.

This was one rumor that the troll brigade picked up on and basically got repeated so many times it is now considered fact. Unless there is new information I personally am not going to judge why it's tied to a particular model until I know the facts.
Appreciate 0