View Single Post
      02-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #39
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
I don't wanna start a healthcare discussion between Canada and the US here but as you said if it's a serious condition then it can get expensive real fast in the US. About ten years ago my wife was diagnosed with brain aneurysm. She passed out at work, they called the ambulance and then called me. Within one hour we were in the helicopter to Toronto. They did the operation same night and basically saved her life using a new operation procedure. They kept her in the hospital for two weeks and made a room for me and our family (private). After they released her, because I couldn't have my car, they hired a private patient carrier and drove both of us home. The cost of operation 150,000, my cost zero. I rather pay the high taxes and not worry about what if.

Have a great night.
It'll vary from person to person. Generally speaking in the U.S. for the highest tier of health insurance (private PPO with a low deductible) you're looking at roughly $5000 per person per year, so for a family of four top tier health insurance should cost around $20,000 per year.

Whether or not one benefits from living in Canada depends on whether or not one expects to pay more than $20,000 per year extra in taxes compared to the U.S.

A rough estimate using online calculators shows that the break even point is around $200,000/year in annual income.

If one makes less than $200,000/year, one would benefit from living in Canada. If one makes more, the U.S. ends up being cheaper in the long run if we're looking at only the highest tier health insurance. I used British Columbia and Texas to compute (rough) tax burdens.
Appreciate 0